Texas Name Change

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2013

To change your name in Texas, you must first file a form with the district court and pay a fee. From forms to fees to courts, the requirements are outlined for you below to ease you through the process.

What forms are required for a Texas name change?

The State of Texas does not have a specific name change form. You must write your own petition to change the name, use a form prepared by a commercial service, or have an attorney write one for you. Click on the following link and search the Texas Family Code for more details: Texas Family Code Chapter 45, Section 101-104t

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Texas?

The completed forms must be filed with the district court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. However, the clerk of the court may notarize your petition for free when you bring it to court.

Is there a filing fee for a Texas name change?

Yes. Check with the clerk of the court to determine the cost. A fee waiver may generally be obtained with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Check with your local circuit court to determine whether a hearing is required.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Check with your local circuit court to determine whether you need to publish a notice of your petition to change your name or your hearing in a local paper.

Is there anything else needed for a name change in Texas?

You must submit a legible set of fingerprints with your petition that will be acceptable to the Department of Public Safety and the FBI.