What to d oif I sublet to a person who’s pet soiled my furniture?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to d oif I sublet to a person who’s pet soiled my furniture?

If I keep his deposit in the amount it would cost to clean the furniture, do I have to actually use the deposit for that or can I consider it repayment for the loss of that item and simply throw that item away?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the damage was above and beyond "normal wear and tear" then you can retain all or part of the ecurity deposit, depending on the damage and the ability to repair it or the need to replace it.  If you as the landlord retains all or part of a security deposit, you are required to give to the tenant a written description and itemized list of all deductions with in 30 days of their vacating the premises. As this relates to your facts specifically one would need to asses the situation in person. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption