Texas Express Easement Transferability

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Texas Express Easement Transferability

My parents own 1 acre in East Texas that I would like to purchase from them. The
property is only accessible by a short track through the neighbors property,
which my parents have express easement access written in their names. More than a
decade ago, they tried to sell the land but it fell through because of issues
transferring the access to a new owner.

Is there any way this land can escape getting landlocked after my parents are

Asked on February 23, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A true easement is on the deed or title and automatically goes with land. Look to the deed and title to see if there is one; look up the other property's deed or title in the county office, too, to see if there's an easement on it. If that's not the case, then your parents only have a "license" (permission) personal to them to cross the land, and such a license is NOT transferrable unless the property owner states it may be. If it is written in "their names" it is likely such a personal license, since as stated, a true easement goes with the land and has nothing to do with the specific owners.
If, as is likely based on what you write, this is a license, not easement, you need the other owner's permission to transfer it. If he/she withholds permission, if the land is totally landlocked, you can likely get a court to grant an easement by necessity--to use its authority to require an easement be created because there is no other way to get to the land. This would require going to court, if the other property owner fights it, and could be expensive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption