Termination due to medical leave

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Termination due to medical leave

My doctor fax my employer that I need to be medical leave for 10days, my employer
called that when I return from my medical leave I will be terminated. What is my

Asked on February 1, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you are not eligible for FMLA leave (worked there at least a year; worked 1,250 hours in the last 12 months; employer does not have at least 50 employees within a 75-mile radius) and/or do not have and use PTO (like sick or vacation days) to cover the absence, you can be terminated for missing work due to medical reasons. There is no general right to miss work: only as permitted by a leave law, like FMLA, or with the use of PTO. You could also be terminated for reasons unconnected to a medical condition ir leave, assuming the reasons are otherwise valid, like provable performance issues, insubordination, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption