Termination because of medical issues

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Termination because of medical issues

I live in Texas. I work for Cheniere LNG
and just recovered from having a stroke.
No disability, but worried that when I
go back to work on Monday, they might
let me go because of it. I have a
medical release.

Asked on October 5, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

They cannot terminate you for having had a stroke. You could only be terminated if:
1) You missed more days due to the stroke then you had a combination of FMLA leave (assuming you were eligible for it--you can find eligibility criteria on the U.S. Dept. of Labor website), which is up to 12 weeks, and paid time off off (sick and vacation days). You can't miss work without using FMLA or PTO, even for medical reasons, and if you miss too much could be fired for absenteeism.
2) You did have some impairment or disability which prevents you from doing core or important parts of your job, since an employer does not need to employ or pay someone who can't do the work. 
If you are terminated other than as per 1) and 2) above, contact the federal EEOC about filing a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption