Can a lease be terminated early due to second hand smoke?

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a lease be terminated early due to second hand smoke?

I am a resident of an apartment complex. My lease officially expires in about 6 months but I would like to move out early due to problems with second hand smoke blowing into my apartment. Other residents smoke in the common areas and the smoke blows into my unit. This is against the “house rules” addendum of the lease. I told the management about this problem about 7 months ago but it still continues today. I said that I am leaving in 45 days however they are threatening me with lost rent, lost commission, etc. Can I legally terminate the lease?

Asked on October 8, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Maybe.  What you state as being part of the lease agreement seems to indicate that you may have a basis for a breach of contract claim and a breach of your right to enjoyment of your apartment. You should consider documenting any physical problems that the smoke causes you and getting a  note from a doctor as to same may indeed help.  The law prohibits interference with your right to be free from noxious odors that seep in to your apartment.  And that the landlord allows a breach of the lease agreement by the tenants thus causing the problem is enough I think for you to ask the court to declare your lease void and your obligations no more.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption