When can I terminate a caregiver?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When can I terminate a caregiver?

My husband’s caregiver of 17 years has given notice that she is moving out of state. She initially gave us a that 1 year notice. Now she said she will be leaving 5 months earlier. I have started looking for a replacement as I thought it would take awhile to find one. However, I actually found a new caregiver and I don’t want her to accept a different job if she has to wait for another 6 months. Can I tell my current caregiver that I found a replacement who I want to hire now? A friend told me that in our state you can terminate employment with no legal recourse.

Asked on July 13, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that when a worker gives notice, an employer need not honor it. They are not legally obligated to do so. That is so long as there is no union agreement or employment contract to the contrary. Otherwise, in an "at will" work relationship an employer can set the condtions of work much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionable discrimination).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption