What are a tenant’s rightsregarding the payment ofproperty taxes?

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are a tenant’s rightsregarding the payment ofproperty taxes?

My husband and I live in a mobile home park; we own the home and rent the lot (for 10 years). The park has had 3 owners since the home has been here. My husband had a contract with the first owner that said he was responsible for paying property taxes but the present owner doesn’t have a contract. My husbands ex-wife had possession of the mobile from 2007-2008. In the divorce papers she was ordered to pay all debts that occurred while living in the home. We got a call from our landlord 2 days ago saying that we owe back property taxes from 07-08 that she did not pay. Suggestions?

Asked on January 28, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

When you say that "he" was responsible for paying the property taxes I am assuming that you mean your husband, correct?  The new owners of the lad inherited you , so to speak, and your contract with the prior landowner.  I am assuming that your husband continued to pay the taxes and live up to the terms of the prior contract as if there were a new one in full force and effect, correct?  So the property taxes for that year were due to be paid by him or he and his ex-wife.  Now, if the ex assumed the debt in the divorce - by agreement or other wise - she is liable to pay it.  So he may have to go back to court to enforce the agreement.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption