What canI do if tenants moved out owing a month’s rent, nearly a $1,000 in utility bills and stole around $2000 of my stuff?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do if tenants moved out owing a month’s rent, nearly a $1,000 in utility bills and stole around $2000 of my stuff?

Can they be prosecuted for the theft of my stuff? What recourse do I have to recover my losses?

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If some of your property was stolen by your former tenants, then I would make a police report about what transpired. In the interim, I would write them seeking the return of the items taken as well as the need to pay the owed rent and utility bills. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference.

Most likely the former tenants will not respond by paying you what is owed. If they do not, then your option is small claims court. I would make a claim to your insurance carrier for what was taken.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption