Tenants – 3 roommates all on the lease. Personal issues between the roommates causing one to demand to be released with all security $ returned.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Tenants – 3 roommates all on the lease. Personal issues between the roommates causing one to demand to be released with all security $ returned.

In November I rented out a house to 3 women who wanted to be roommates. All 3 signed one lease. I collected a security deposit and last month’s rent. Recently one of the roommates allowed her boyfriend to move in. The others complained. I sent a 30 day notice of lease violation to the one with the boyfriend. Less than 30 days has passed and one of them is now demanding out of the lease with all of her prepaid monies returned to her due to the “uninhabitable conditions” caused by the boyfriend and the fact that I haven’t “evicted” the boyfriend and girlfriend yet. Do I have options here?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Delaware


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  You have options.  You can seek to solve all the problems by evicting the boyfriend and seeing that all the tenant make up and be friends again with the understanding that the boyfriend is not a tenant, but only a guest that may stay over only once a week at best. You can also allow one of the tenants to leave by making them pay you to get out as you have an enforceable contract (lease) that they cannot simply get out of.  I would try to get the one who wants to leave to pay you a compromised amount to get out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption