What canI do if a ttenant refuses to sign for condo conversion?

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do if a ttenant refuses to sign for condo conversion?

We are going through condo conversion in San Francisco. We have notified the tenants but 1 tenant has refused to sign. What legal action can I take?

Asked on July 26, 2010 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You need to get legal help with this matter from an attorney familiar wth condo conversions in your area.  What I believe you are referring to is a "tenant intent to purchase" form.  Tenants do not have to sign them if they do not want.  Depending on where you are all non-purchasing renters get one-year rent-controlled leases, and all disabled and senior (over 62) renters get lifetime rent-controlled leases. At the conclusion of a lease period, renters may be evicted in connection with the sale of a unit. Also, be aware that eviction rates of a building can stand in the way of conversion. That means that the building would not qualify. Seek legal help. There are too many laws to be aware of and too many procedure to follow on your own.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption