Is n additional deposit given due to pets, is it refundable?

UPDATED: May 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is n additional deposit given due to pets, is it refundable?

My landlord required an additional $200 to be added to my security deposit for my pet. The lease specifically states that it is an additional amount to the security deposit (i.e. not termed a “pet deposit” or a “pet fee”).

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

One would have to read the lease in full to figure this out.  Your state does not put a limit on security deposits in general and you would have to check and see if it allows them to be "non-refundable" (some states such as California do not allow them to be non-refundable).  I would agree with you that if it does not state it is a pet fee specifically then it is part of the regular security deposit.  But that does not mean that you can not still owe the landlord for the damage the pet does.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption