Even though my spouse and I filed jointly, do I bear liability for his or her taxes?

When you file federal income taxes jointly, both parties assume liability for the taxes owed. However, under the innocent spouse provisions of the Internal Revenue Code, a spouse can be excused from liability if he or she can prove that they are an innocent spouse, and it would be unfair for them to be held responsible for the liability of the other. If you believe you qualify as an innocent spouse, contact an experienced tax attorney.

Filing Fraudulent Tax Returns: A Federal Crime

Tax fraud is a federal crime with serious consequences and a crime that rarely stays hidden. Between the IRS’s audit computers and the Whistleblower program, tax fraud is nearly impossible to hide. Filing a fraudulent return can result in fines up to $250,000 for an individual or $500,000 for a corporation and up to 3 years in jail along with the cost of prosecution. If the IRS is charging you with tax fraud, you must hire an attorney and be prepared for a long, difficult and humiliating process.

Resolving IRS Tax Debt: Why You Should File Your Federal Tax Return Even If You Can’t Pay

While it is tempting to avoid filing your tax returns to delay the IRS knowing that you have a balance due, not filing a tax return is actually the more costly and problematic method of dealing with the problem. Filing your returns on time ensures that you avoid the failure to file penalty. The IRS will set up an affordable installment plan that will allow you to get your debt paid off within a reasonable amount of time.

If I have not been filing taxes for a few years, do I need to file now?

You will need to begin filing income taxes you earned during those years. Go to a competent tax professional, file your income taxes voluntarily, and pay any money you believe you owe. This will help reduce the amount you have to pay as well as help ward off any forced collection or prosecution by the IRS. The IRS will eventually find you. You should still be filing taxes even when you believe you do not owe money.