What are my rights regarding being suspended until further notice?

UPDATED: Apr 4, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 4, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding being suspended until further notice?

I was suspended from my job of 5 years about 2 weeks ago. I was given a paper stating I was being suspended until further notice

Asked on April 4, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Ignoring for the moment the civil rights case you mention, this would be legal: an employee at will may be suspended at any time, for any reason, without an explanation, for any duration. The employee handbook does not typically limit their right to do this: only a written employment contract for a defined or set period of time (e.g. a one-year contract) which is still in effect (not expired) limits the employer's right to change its own policies at will, and the overwhelming majority of employee handbook do not form or create an enforceable contract.
But it is illegal to retaliate against an employee for bringing a civil rights claim. If you believe that this is what is happening, contact your state's civil rights agency about filing a retaliation complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption