Sump pump shut off, finished basement flooded.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Sump pump shut off, finished basement flooded.

I purchased a bank owned property as-is at an online auction on 1/12/2018. At this time everything was OK. The company that was looking after property had someone go in to check it on 1/14/2018 and turned breaker off to sump pump causing basement to flood. They said that since I bought as-is they are not responsible for damages. Is this true, or do I have a claim against them for negligence?

Asked on February 28, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

"As-is" applies to the condition of the property when you purchased it. If someone damages it *after* you bought it--as appears to the case from what you write (if you bought it on the 12th but they damaged it on the 14th)--they may be liable for that damage. You may be able to recover compensation from them via a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption