If a summons with erroneous address was sent to me, is it valid?

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a summons with erroneous address was sent to me, is it valid?

While riding my bike 4 years ago I was hit by a car. The driver is suing for damages in a remote court in another state. Summons was sent to an old address that I haven’t lived at in years. Since I live out-of-state, far away from either the site of accident or the courthouse and the summons was sent to the wrong address, do I still need to show up at the hearing? What are my next steps?

Asked on March 29, 2012 under Accident Law, District of Columbia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Technically the summons and complaint against you that was sent to you at the wrong address  could be deemed invalid service, however you somehow received a copy of such. As a matter of law, you are on notice of the lawsuit have would appear to have been validly served with process regardless of the bad address.

With that being said, I suggest that you appear at the hearing and defend yourself. Before you do so, you should consult with an attorney who is a general practice attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption