Should I hire an attorney for a summons for disorderly conduct summons?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I hire an attorney for a summons for disorderly conduct summons?

I received a pink summons slip for being supposedly in violation of Disorderly Conduct: 240.21(1) with a court date scheduled for three months from now. I would like to know what exactly my options are. If I plead Guilty, what penalties will I likely be facing? Should I hire a criminal law attorney? In NYC, NY.

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Criminal Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It may be best for you to go and seek consultation with a criminal attorney in your area about the charge.  This charge, under 240.20 of the New York Penal Code, is a kind of catch all charge for the DA's office.  It has been said that it is the most charge offered in a plea bargain say for a misdemeanor charge.  The good thing here is that the charge does not generally result or impact a criminal record.  But it does have a surcharge ($) and can be seen on a back ground check.  Often criminal attorneys can have the charge reduced to an ACD (adjournment in contemplation of dismissal) and that there are motions associated with this charge that can help you if it is based upon something like fighting, etc.  Seek legal help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption