What are my rights if I’m going t sue my contractor?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I’m going t sue my contractor?

We hired a contractor to remodel a house for us. He told us that it could be done for $70,000; he also told us it would take 60-90 days to complete the work. It has taken 10 months to complete and he has drawn over $100,000. Additionally, I did a lot of the work myself to try and help keep the cost down. We did not sign a written contract. Most agreements were verbal.

Asked on July 12, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Mississippi


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You have a case for breach of contract against the contractor since the work wasn't completed within the timeframe of 60 to 90 days and because the cost has exceeded the stated price.
However, since you only have an oral agreement, it will just be your word against that of the contractor which is a weak case.  If you had a written contract which set forth the specific terms, you would have a strong case for breach of contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption