Can I sue a fast food chain that is located next to my property for excessive noise?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a fast food chain that is located next to my property for excessive noise?

I live with my wife and a toddler in a townhouse. It is 10 feet away from the parking lot of a fast food chain. A few neighbors and I have been complaining about the noise. People at 12 am, 3 am and 5 am will park and blast music or talk loudly in the parking lot. My family and I, including with a few

neighbors, have lost sleep because of this. We spoke to the manager of the store but all they say is they can’t do anything about it. This store was built 2 years ago. We asked them to at least put up a

Asked on May 3, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

First, if they are making noise late at night, they may be violating municipal noise ordinances; try reporting them to the authorities for that. (Contact the police; they are often involved in enforcing these ordinances and even if they don't in your municipality, they can direct you to the correct department.) If they or their patrons are in violation, they can be ticketed, and ticketed repeatedly (i.e. forced to pay fines), until they stop. Similarly, if they are violating littering or health ordinances (e.g. by the garbage), they can be ticketed for those things, too. So looking into the rules/ordinances for these things (the municipal clerk's office can help you find those ordinances) is a very good way to start,  since if they are in violation, the city can enforce the rules against them without you having to pay for your own attorney or lawsuit.
If they are not violation and/or being ticketed, etc. does not stop the behavior, you can try suing based on "nuisance"--on this being inappropriate behavior for your neighborhood (e.g. if the neighborhood is partially or mostly residential, having noise later at night than it should be, where children and families sleep). But be warned that nuisance suits are very difficult if the conduct/use (e.g. having a fast food restaurant) is permitted--e.g. it properly zoned and permitted. The presumption is that otherwise legal activities may be conducted; overcoming that presumption and showing that the use is a "nuisance" despite being permitted is not easy. If you do win, you can get monetary compensation and/or a court order that they change what they are doing, but you could spend a lot on the lawsuit with no guaranty of winning: that's why trying to get them cited for ordinance violations is the better thing to start with.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption