Subrogation – when an insurer seeks recovery beyond what was paid

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Subrogation – when an insurer seeks recovery beyond what was paid

I was in an accident and my insurance company opted to cut me a check for the
repair estimate instead of going directly through the repair shop long story,
not relevant. The estimate they based the pay out on is less than the estimate
they are seeking to recover from the at-fault party’s insurance company. The
estimate differences are based on specific ‘corrections’ for various part prices
and repair costs. I have two estimates One with red lines through some items and
corrected cost estimates and a corrected total estimate my payout is based on
this version. The version they sent the other insurance company through
subrogation is the uncorrected version the higher estimate. Is this legal?

Asked on September 8, 2017 under Insurance Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, insurers can only recover the actual amount(s) they paid out; they are entitled to reimbursement from the at-fault driver for the amounts they had to pay due to the at-fault driver's carelessnes, but are not entitled to make a profit on it; "surbrogation" is recovery of the *actual* repair costs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption