If I I wasn’t home and a police officer served my 17 year old son with a subpoena for me, is that legal?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I I wasn’t home and a police officer served my 17 year old son with a subpoena for me, is that legal?

If I don’t go because I was never personally served, what would happen to me ?

Asked on February 8, 2017 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In WA state, a subpeona may be served on someone who is of suitable age and discretion, typically over the age of 14, and who is likely to give the papers to the person intended to be served. Since your son is 17 and lives with you, then service was likely proper. Since a suboeona an order of the court and "you" were served, if you do not appear in court as instructed, you can be held in contempt and be subject to fines or even jail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption