If my wife received a subpoena to appear in court but her employer will not give her time off, what can she do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife received a subpoena to appear in court but her employer will not give her time off, what can she do?

My wife works Wednesday through Sunday she had a court review for custody on Tuesday they continued it to Friday and issued a subpeona to be there. She showed her employer the subpoena and they said well of you don’t show up to work on Friday you will be terminated. Can they do that or is her job protected the court hearing?

Asked on September 21, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Oklahoma


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Her employer needs to understand that she has been subpoenaed to appear in court and that a subpeona s a direct court order. If she fails to go, it can result in her being held a contempt of court. It is a public policy violation for an employer to not recognize a worker's duty to go to court. Accordingly, her company is not supposed to be able to punish her for attending. Typically, state law prevents such retaliation. At this point, she can contact a local criminal or employment law attorney for further advise.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption