What is the law regarding studying out of the U.S.?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the law regarding studying out of the U.S.?

I’ve been a green card holder for 9 years. I will be going to medical school in 4 months and will be there on an island for 16 months. Can I come back to the U.S. after 1.5 years after studying on an island with my green card? Do I need to apply for a re-entry permit? I do intend to live in the U.S. after that? I have a driver’s license, U.S. permanent address and did college/graduate degree in the U.S.

Asked on August 28, 2017 under Immigration Law, Maryland


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You need to either apply for US citizenship (you would seem to be eligible if you've had a green card for 9 years) or apply for a reentry permit if you intend to be outside the US for longer than 6 months.  If you do neither you can easily lose your green card due to abandonment if you are outside the US for extended period of time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption