If my uncle was struck by a car an injured, does he have any legal recourse if no police report was made?

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 5, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my uncle was struck by a car an injured, does he have any legal recourse if no police report was made?

My uncle lives was struck while standing behind a car when it backed up. As a result he is now recovering from a broken hip and broken arm. There was no police report taken at the scene. I am wondering if he has any legal recourse with the lack of a police report? Should he speak with a personal injury attorney? In Broward County, FL.

Asked on November 5, 2010 under Personal Injury, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for him.  May I ask, why was there no report made?  Did an ambulance come to the scene?  are there witnesses to the accident?  Yes, he should go and see a personal injury attorney as soon as he possibly can.  There have to be letters sent out advising the insurance carrier of the other car of the accident (if the other driver has not yet done so) and making sure that all the pieces are in place for him to make a claim.  The consultation should be free and the attorney should be able to evaluate his case for him in generalities.  There are no guarantees of success in anything, of course.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption