Can I be in legal trouble for leaving my son’s medication out in the open?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I be in legal trouble for leaving my son’s medication out in the open?

My 7 year old son is on medicationfor his ADHD. This past weekend, 18 of his pills were taken by one of my oldest son’s 17 year old friends. I filed a report and they are doing an investigation. My mother is concerned that I may be in trouble for having the medicine in my home with children. I keep the bottle on top of my microwave because my son takes it in the mornings as we are rushing out the door for school. I have taught my children (ages 16, 13, 10, and 7) the dangers of Rx medications, so they know not to mess with them. But then this 17 year old steals them from my home. Can I be charged?

Asked on October 19, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is always the possibility that you could be charged with criminal negligence for leaving the medication that you are writing about in the open available for someone to take which apparently happened.

However since you reported the taking of the medication to law enforcement and the likely suspect, the chances of you being charged for any criminal offense seems pretty remote based upon what you have written. In the future you should be more careful with where you leave medication at your home.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption