What is the law regarding health insurance and stepchildren after a divorce?

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the law regarding health insurance and stepchildren after a divorce?

I am getting a divorce from my wife. We have 3 children; 1 is biologically mine the other 2 are my stepchildren (that I love and care for like they are mine). I know I will have no legal rights to them and any visitation will have to be agreed between my ex and I. After the divorce is final, can I still provide health insurance for my stepchildren?

Asked on February 19, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are doing well by asking if you can still provide for them. This may be something the court can approve but you will need to speak with the health insurance company about continued coverage. If a change in life happens with some insurance companies regarding children that are not legally yours (i..e, you did not adopt), you will need to see if continued coverage would still be allowed by the insurance coverage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption