What can I expect for being charged with theft of a road sign and public drunkeness?

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I expect for being charged with theft of a road sign and public drunkeness?

A friend and I were out and we saw a post that had been taken down so we tried to take the signs and the police caught us. They told us we werebeing charged with theft. The signs we took were a no parking sign and a purple belt sign. I also received a public drunkenness citation about a month ago that I am fighting. What is the most likely outcome of this? I am terrified that I might go to jail. I’m trying to become a teacher, is that possible? Should I speak with a criminal law attorney? In Pittsburgh, PA.

Asked on June 5, 2011 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, yes, yes.  Get thee to an attorney as soon as you possibly can.  Public drunkenness or public intoxication can be charged as a misdemeanor and yes, if you are convicted it will go on your permanent record.  That will impact your teaching license. You may not get one.  But in many states the charge can be bargained down to an infraction, which will not go on your permanent record.  You have a better shot of having it bargained down with a good lawyer doing the talking.  Theft is generally categorized by amounts.  I would think that this would be more of a vandalism or destruction of public property charge.  Please get yourself some help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption