Stay At Home Mother Divorcing Seeking Primary Custody of Children

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Stay At Home Mother Divorcing Seeking Primary Custody of Children

I’m currently working on filing a divorce. My husband kept all assets vehicle and money; I currently have no job, vehicle or support. I had to move a state away to find living quarters. He has refused to cooperate on the children’s expenses – food/clothing/transporting them between states. He has frequently tried to get me to do sexual favors since separating in return for money. My husband refuses to sign divorce papers if I attempt to ask for child support. I have many texts saved with times and dates to prove all of the requests for sexual favors for time with my kids, in addition to him saying things such as if he didn’t keep the children certain days it would make him look bad in court, instead of actually caring about time with the children. My husband has threatened suicide many times in addition to being verbally explosive.

Asked on September 5, 2018 under Family Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You have a rather complicated situation, so you really should have legal counsel. Since money is an issue, you can check to see if Legal Aid can help. If not, see if there is a law school in your area as many run legal clinics that take clients for free/reduced fees depending on their income and circumstances. Also, you can contact the local county/state bar association and to see if it has a list of attorneys who will represent clients "pro bono" (i.e. for free). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption