Is there a statute of limitations on fraud?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a statute of limitations on fraud?

I bounced a couple of bad checks 9 years ago; 1 year later I moved to another city within the state. I lived there for 4 years with a full-time job and a valid state ID with a valid address on it. I moved to UT and lived there for the last 5 years with a valid ID and a valid address and held a full-time job. I recently found out that I have a warrant for

Asked on June 20, 2017 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The statute of limitations has to do with the time in which criminal charges must be brought. However, once they are the statute of limitations no longer applies. Additionally, warrants never expire. Therefore, at this point, you really should consult with a criminal law attorney in there area of where the warrant was issued; they can best advise you further. One thig is for sure, you will need to deal both with the bad check charges and the warrant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption