Statute of limitations on shoddy home construction

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Statute of limitations on shoddy home construction

We build a house almost 10 years ago. However, within a year we noticed cracked tiles in several locations thru out the house. We called the builder and they said it was just a tile issue and had all the cracked tiles replaced. Since then the cracks have come back and grown larger and wider. It is in certain areas and we recall that that they used a preformed slab in sections and didnt pour a foundation and the cracks seem to be where the slab pieces met. What type of lawyer would we speak to to see if we even had a case? We have issues without windows working as well. The builder no longer builds and now lives in another state. We are just concerned as we paid a lot of money for a house that we aren;t sure will hold up. Also, wouldn’t there have been inspections on the foundation and soil that could have avoided this?

Asked on March 16, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Please, please hurry to a construction attorney! He or she will be able to tell you if you have a case based upon your continued complaints, etc. But in Florda no action may be brought after 10 years, not ifs, ands or buts. So pleae get to a lawyer soon.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption