What to do if I intend to setup a education trust for my grandchildren?

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I intend to setup a education trust for my grandchildren?

However (for sound reasons), I will not be designating my daughter as trustee. She is divorced and in her divorce decree the following is listed as one of her right(s) as Joint Managing Conservator of her 2 sons – “The right to manage the estates of the children to the extent these estates have been created by the parent or the parent’s family.” Will this language in her divorce decree override any trustee that I do designate for the grandchildren’s trust?

Asked on March 28, 2013 under Estate Planning, Texas


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I suggest you obtain the services of an estate planning attorney to assist you; the reason is what you are proposing will need to be thought through very carefully, as the trusts have long term effects as to these grandchildren. An ounce of prevention is better and cheaper than a pound of cure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption