Spouse will not sign divorce papers?

UPDATED: Apr 13, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 13, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Spouse will not sign divorce papers?

My spouse is on drugs and will not seek treatment. I
want a divorce and spouse will not sign divorce
papers, what can I do?

Asked on April 13, 2019 under Family Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You don't need your spouse to agree to a divorce (sign the papers): if you did, no one could ever get divorced if their spouse did not want to. You can bring a divorce lawsuit or case against your spouse and have the court order the divorce regardless of what he or she wants. You can divorce for a number of possibly relevant reasons in AL: an "irretrievable breakdown" in the marriage; incompatibility; or habitual intoxication, for example. You have the right to a divorce, but will have to file a lawsuit to get it. You can do this on your own ("pro se") but are strongly advised to retain an attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption