Spouse stopped paying an agreed upon support amount

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Spouse stopped paying an agreed upon support amount

20 years ago I was divorced and awarded support. My husband wanted me to hault legal proceedings as it was becoming expensive and he also did not want me to go after his retirement. He made me a side financial offer of an extra 500 monthly, on top of support to let him have his retirement. I agreed and he has been paying until this month. He had failing out with our daughter who cares for me and so to punish her sent letter stating was paying only court ordered monies. Can I do anything?

Asked on February 3, 2018 under Family Law, New York


Stephanie Emanuel / Ahsan A. Syed, PSC INC

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can get the court involved again since he made a deal with you outside of court last time, most likely that is one advantage you have in this situation. So please contact an experienced attorney that can evaluate your situation and assist you in your financial situation by going over all your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption