Speeding Ticket

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Speeding Ticket

I got a speeding ticket for going at 55 on 35 mph road. This was my first traffic ticket ever. The officer said that since its my first ticket, I can opt for traffic school and by that the fine will also be reduced to half. However, he did not give this assurance in writing. Now when I received the official ticket, I don’t see anything mentioned about fine reduction if I take traffic school. I checked by going on sanmateo court site until online payment option along with traffic school option but fine amount remains same. What should I do? Should I go to court and tell above or just pay fine take traffic school?

Asked on July 17, 2019 under General Practice, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Just pay the fine and take the traffic school. The officer is not the court and is not the state legislature: he had no legal authority to reduce the fine you'd pay if you went to traffic school, and whatever he said is not binding. He was trying to be helpful and informative, but was mistaken.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption