speeding ticket

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

speeding ticket

a highway patrol was behind me for a few second
on the freeway, then pull me over and cited me for
speeding . I was going with the same speed as all
the other car. How can the highway patrol tell how
fast i was going in back of me. Can he be checking
his speed and mine, by following me , does’nt he
have to have a radar gun to track the speed I was
going or can he say since he was following from
behind me .

Asked on March 27, 2016 under General Practice, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you are not correct, or at least not entirely correct. IF a radar/lidar (laster radar) gun is used, the officer must be trained, authorized and have the gun properly calibrated. But speed can be legally clocked the old fashioned way, by the officer pacing a car and checking what his own speedometer says at the moment they are going the same speed (that is, when you are neither pulling away from nor being gained on by the officer); this  is good evidence which a court will accept.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption