Can I sue the driver to recover the downpayment if my leased car was totaled?

UPDATED: May 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue the driver to recover the downpayment if my leased car was totaled?

Car wrecked 39 days into lease; I put $3,000 down. Downpayment was for capital reduction and the associated tax, aacquisition fee etc. Driver accepted 100% fault and her insurance covered the fair value of the vehicle. Driver was ticketed at accident scene for following too closely.

Asked on May 9, 2011 under Accident Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your vehicle was totalled, the car was leased and you paid $3,000.00, then her insurance company should have covered your expenses, as well, not simply covering fair value of the motor vehicle. If you have not cashed any checks yet (I am assuming the checks didn't come to you), you need to go back to the table and get your money that you paid as a down payment and explain that you have not been made whole and you expect all costs you paid in since you were only 39 days into your lease. Further, also contact your insurance company regarding the same and if you suffered any medical injuries, make sure you get those covered (economic damages and non-economic damages).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption