What should I do if someone is living in my house that I have no agreement with and I can’t access my property?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if someone is living in my house that I have no agreement with and I can’t access my property?

I bought a manufactured home over 1 1/2 years ago. I moved out 10 months alter to help my mom. I

never rented it out or sold it to anyone. When I went to return back to living in my home last month, I found someone living in it. The locks have been changed and I can’t access my home or live in it. I don’t know who these people are and they won’t leave.

Asked on October 1, 2016 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

First, if you havne't already, contact the police and tell them someone broke into your house and is squatting there--they may help. If they do not, bring an action "for ejectment" in county court: ejectment is eviction for non-tenants (i.e. for people not paying rent or living there pursuant to a lease), and would be how your remove this person. An ejectment action is somewhat more procedurally complex than than the standard or usual eviction action: you are recommended to retain an attorney to help you. You may wish at the same time to also sue this person for your legal fees and for any damage they have done.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption