Someone gave me a check for services but I lost it, do I have any legal standing to make him write a new one?

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Someone gave me a check for services but I lost it, do I have any legal standing to make him write a new one?

I have looked for the check for over 3 months?

Asked on August 14, 2015 under Business Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, you do not. If the check never go to you (e.g. it was mailed but was lost in the mail), you could require a new check to be issued, since the other party never successfully paid you; but if you received the check, then the other party discharged its obligations and is not responsible for what happens to the check after that. You losing the check after receiving it is no different than you cashing the check, then losing the money--it is not the other party's responsibility. Once the check is in your hand, regardless of what happens next, the other party is done.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption