What can I do if my landlord allowed by roommate to remove himself from our lease and move out?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my landlord allowed by roommate to remove himself from our lease and move out?

I signed a lease with a roommate, and during our lease, she moved. I got new roommates and we all went to the office and removed the old roommate and added the new. Right before our lease ended with the new roommate, he moved out unexpectedly. I was finally able to get a copy of my lease and it shows where the new roommates name was just crossed out on the lease and I was then stuck by myself. Since then, the property has been sold and uses a different management company, as well as all new staff. What can I do?

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to ascertain if the landlord initialled the cross out of your former roommate's name on the lease. If he did, then you have a good chance of arguing that you are only responsible for your share of the lease as opposed to the entire portion.

I also suggest that you consult with your landlord face to face about the situation concerning your former roommate and get a revised agreement between you and your landlord about the lease. You might consider consulting with a landlord tenant attorney further about the situation with your landlord as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption