When I someone entitled to a refund?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When I someone entitled to a refund?

I hired and paid a social media consultant $500 to provide services. We met one time but I received nothing from this consultant. No contract was signed or drawn up. Due to her canceling at the last minute numerous times before meeting 2, decided to terminate this relationship and asked this consultant for a simple refund. She verbally agreed to refund me back in installments, however then reversed course and told me that she would only provide a credit. This was not acceptable since I would never want to work with this person again. She says I would lose an attempt to retrieve my money in small claims since no contract was signed. Is this true or would I have a viable case?

Asked on August 28, 2018 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

She is wrong. Whether a contract was signed or not, there was a contract: the agreement between you and her under which she agreed to provide services and you agreed to pay her. When one side breaches that agreement, such as by not providing the agreed upon services in the agreed upon or reasonable timeframe, that breach entitles the other to a refund. Her failure to meet and provide the services gives you the right to a refund, so if she won't voluntarily provide one, you could sue for "breach of contract." 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption