What is the best way to handle employee theft without direct evidence?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the best way to handle employee theft without direct evidence?

We own a small business and have an employee stealing. They do not ring items up and take money off-camera in a blind spot. When surprised came drawer has been over at least $300 each time. How do we prosecute when employee goes off-camera? What do we do in this situation to get most of the money back? We think that it has been going on for a year.

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) If there is no employment contract, you can fire this person--and should, if you think they are stealing.

2) You can report the suspected theft to the police, along with your reasons for thinking that, and let the police investigate and see if they can obtain information.

3)  You can try to sue the person to recover the money you believe stolen. Therre are other ways to prove theft than having it on camera or rung up; for example, if only person A had access to the money, there was money therefore before A had access, then less money after A had access, the fact  that only a could have taken it may be enough to win a case. You should consult with an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption