If I go to court for a slip and fallbut had a petit theft arrest that was expunged, do I have to tell them?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I go to court for a slip and fallbut had a petit theft arrest that was expunged, do I have to tell them?

And if they find out can they use that against me?

Asked on September 13, 2011 under Personal Injury, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable NOT to disclose your arrest for petit theft which was expunged. 

If you were to disclose it, then it could be used to impeach your credibiility.

In the event that the  petit theft arrest is discovered  by the opposing party, you would want to emphasize that there wasn't any conviction and that it was expunged.  If this arrest occurred long ago and you haven't had any criminal record since, emphasize that if the other side raises the issue. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption