UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


There are news reports about a snow removal company that has been taking money from customers and not doing the work. I posted a video from channel 7 on my Facebook page about this and I was just served papers from the snow company’s attorney advising me that is I did not stop posting these videos they would sue me. Can they do that? can I really be sued for posting a video from a news station regarding the company?

Asked on March 6, 2018 under Business Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You could only be sued if:
1) You are violating some agreement (e.g. a non-disclosure or confidentiality or non-disparagement clause in an employment contract, if you had been an employee) with the company;
2) The video turns out to be factually untrue, in which case it may be defamation, and those reposting it could be guilty of defamation, too;
3) If this video had not been from a public news report but had been some in-house video of the company, which you obtained improperly.
Otherwise, there are no legal grounds to sue someone for posting a factually true video or other statement about a company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption