UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I work in the oil field and use different vendors for jobs. I had 1 vendor get mad at me for giving another vendor a few jobs instead of giving the jobs to him. He reported me to my foreman telling him I was telling him to add extra hours on his invoice to my company to benefit me. I was pulled into the office by management and a report was filed against me. I was passed up for promotion because of his allegations. So I called this guy and recorded the conversation and he admits that he was mad and was running his mouth to get me into trouble because I was using his competitor. what can I do, or do I have a case against him for almost losing my job and being passed up for the promotion?

Asked on November 2, 2017 under Personal Injury, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Making a false factual statement about someone which damages their reputation is defamation and is something you can sue over. Based in what you write, you should have a viable case for defamation and could sue him for losses you can prove were more likely than not due to his defamation, such as the additional income you lost due to being passed up for promotion. Defamation cases are typically handled by personal injury attorneys (the same ones who do slip and fall or car accident cases); it would be worthwhile to consult with such an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption