What to do if I told my brother to pick up the balance of the stuff he has for 22 years but after 6 months there has been no response?

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I told my brother to pick up the balance of the stuff he has for 22 years but after 6 months there has been no response?

Last year under my brothers supervision the junk man hauled off a trailer load of rotting mildewed junk that my brother had stored in the basement. The mildewing caused mold in the basement floor joists, rotting boxes caused termites to feast. I want the rest of his stuff out and want to sell some valuables to pay for the cost of mold removal and cleanup. Since he never picked up the rest of his stuff, can I sell it to cover the costs of repairs and mold removal? He was never a tenant or renter.

Asked on July 31, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I would call and send your brother a letter stating that he needs to pick up the balance of his belongings in the next fifteen days. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference and need.

If the items are not picked up in the demanded time period, you can dispose of the seemingly abandoned items anyway you desire.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption