What are my rights if a pre-existing medical condition is aggravated by a car accident?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if a pre-existing medical condition is aggravated by a car accident?

In the last 4 months, I’ve had 2 surgeries on a brain aneurysm that ruptured 8 years ago. Thursday I went to my neurosurgeon’s office to pick up a release to return to work Monday. When I left I had only made it about 5 blocks when a lady ran a red light and

Asked on January 7, 2017 under Accident Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You will need to document in a medical report that the auto accident exacerbated your pre-existing injury from the aneurysm.
If you settle your current personal injury case from the auto accident without claiming that, you won't be able to reopen the case and claim that exacerbation of your  pre-existing injury because when the case is settled you sign a release of all future claims.
You also want to consider the statute of limitations in your current personal injury case and your potential claim regarding the pre-existing condition because if the statute of limitations expires, you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption