How doI go about filing for a simpleuncontested divorce?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI go about filing for a simpleuncontested divorce?

My husband and I want a divorce. I wanted to know the simplest way to get one. I don’t want any alimony or anything from him and we just want this over with. No complications and no disputes; there are no children involved. He’s in the army and we’ve been apart for a while. We’re just not compatible in any way. Are lawyers mandatory? What should I do?

Asked on August 25, 2011 North Carolina


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good afternoon,

Thanks for reaching out and posting on our site. To get right to the point you are able to file for a divorce without an attorney but I would urge you not to do so. I would suggest that you look for a local attorney, try google or the yellow pages and find an attorney who advertises for affordable separation/divorce uncontested agreements. More often than not you can work with an attorney and when the matter is wholly uncontested it will end up costing under $600 to file and have the document drafted. My reason for advising you use an attorney is that the court system is complicated and to attempt to navigate it on your own would be difficult. For a small fee you will have the assurance that the matter has been properly handled and no issues will arise in the future.

If for whatever reason you want to proceed on your own the best advise is to go to the family court, ask the clerk for a copy of the applicable forms needed to file an uncontested divorce, then submit the papers as required.

Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption