Signed a Lease to move out – worried about claims of desertion

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Signed a Lease to move out – worried about claims of desertion

Married 4 years to verbal/mental abuser with a candy-coated exterior. Our family looks great on social media but there has been ongoing cycles of what I call

Asked on December 1, 2017 under Family Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Desertion is one of the 15 grounds for divorce in your state, and it must be "malicious, intentiona; and without cause" which does NOT seem the case here.  I strongly suggest that you seek at least a consultation from ana ttorney in your area.  Start chronicling the events that led up to your leaving, including those against the children. Use a note book and put in dates and times and what happened.  If he gets out of hand, call the police and file for an order of protection. Protecting your family is very different from just leaving.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption