Sibling, personal representative, not performing fiduciary duty

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Sibling, personal representative, not performing fiduciary duty

My mother passed away a year ago. She had a Will, which only 1 of my sisters has seen. That sister is the personal representative for the estate. She refuses to let the other sibling heirs see the Will. We all know that my mother’s house was to be sold and divided among the heirs. However, 2 of the siblings live in the house, 1 being the personal representative, and she has no intention of moving but will not discuss the house or any of my mother’s other assets with anyone in the family. The personal representative was also advised by someone to switch the home into her name after my mother’s death, which she also did. We don’t know how to proceed with getting the house sold and the assets divided among the heirs, since my sister is being uncooperative.

Asked on September 1, 2017 under Estate Planning, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can bring a legal action against the "estate" and the personal representative both seeking to hold the PR to her duties under the terms of the will and also under her "fiduciary duty" (the law-imposed duty of loyalty to the beneficiaries, as well as to use "reasonable care" in discharing the PR's resposibilities). As persons who likely or presumably would inherit (and who *would* inherit under "intestate succession" if there was no will), you have "standing" (or a legal right, based on having a sufficient interest in the outcome) to bring such a legal action. In such a legal action, your sister can be required to produce the will and also justify her actions. If a court finds that she is violating the terms of the will, or violating intestate succession if no will, or breaching her fiduciary duty through lack of loyalty or care, it can order her to do the things she should, to pay the estate some amount of compensation (to then be distributed to the beneficiaries), and/or remove her as PR. A probate attorney would be very helpful in bringing such a legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption