Should you put an MIP on an application if you haven’t been convicted yet?

UPDATED: May 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should you put an MIP on an application if you haven’t been convicted yet?

I received an MIP a week ago, but have not had my court date, so I have no been convicted. I am now filling out a rental application and it asks for any arrests and convictions. I will be convicted in a few weeks of the MIP but I haven’t been convicted yet. On the application should I state that I have been convicted or not?

Asked on May 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the rental application that you have asks specifically if you have ever been arrested or convicted of a crime, then you need to answer the question honestly by stating that you have been arrested.

Since you have not been convicted of the minor in possession of alcohol charge (MIP), then your answer to the conviction portion of the question should be "no" at this particular point in time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption